How far is the Bahamas from Miami? What is the most convenient way to travel to the Bahamas? Are there any tourist traps I should avoid?
These are some of the questions we get a lot from fellow travelers. We understand that planning a trip to the Bahamas could be daunting. After all, it’s not the first time we hear stories like how rough sea conditions and irresponsible travel agencies ruin a long-awaited trip.
But fret not, we are here to fix your worries. Aside from answering your question about “how far is the Bahamas from Miami”, we are also going to provide you with useful information such as the Miami to Bahamas ferry details, private flights to Bahamas options, and of course, what to explore when in the Bahamas.
So, read on to find out more about how to plan your trip to the Bahamas from Miami.
How Far is the Bahamas from Miami?
So, how far is the Bahamas from Miami and what is the best way to get there? Let us uncover it one by one with you.
The archipelago state of the Bahamas is located just 110 miles off Miami and the southern coast of Florida. Although geographically close, these two destinations are completely different worlds. Miami’s charm lies in its lively beach, cosmopolitan setting, and artistic vibes while the Bahamas is known for its tropical seclusion, untouched islands, and mesmerizing nature.
Many travelers embark on a one-day trip to the Bahamas from Miami to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and to enjoy the serenity of the Bahamas. However, your experience is dependent on the way you travel there because the experience traveling by ferry and plane are extremely different.
How far is the Bahamas from Miami by plane
Your Bahamas day trip from Miami will be far more enjoyable if you opt to travel with Bahamas Air Tours.
Instead of 2 to 3 hours of ferry rides, flying from Miami to the Bahamas merely takes 45 minutes. This gives you plenty of time to enjoy the pristine islands, turquoise waters, and untouched beaches of the Bahamas. Not to mention you could comfortably get back to Miami for your dinner date as flight time from Miami to the Bahamas is relatively short.
Stepping into Bahamas Air Tours’ private aircraft, you will notice that there are less than 10 people on the flight. Every seat is equipped with a large aircraft viewing window. In this aircraft, everyone has access to the mesmerizing bird’s-eye views of the Bahamas, which according to astronauts, is the best view on the planet earth.
Another reason why you should travel with Bahamas Air Tours is their hospitality and friendliness. Bahamas Air Tours goes above and beyond to create a once-in-a-lifetime experience for all their guests, hoping everyone could enjoy the beauty of the Bahamas to the fullest. Regardless of how far is the Bahamas from Miami, every second of your journey should be special and exciting.
Why the plane is better than the boat from Miami to Bahamas
Still confused whether you should opt for ferry or flight for your trip to the Bahamas? To make things even clearer, take a look at the comparison below:
- Transportation: Would you prefer to spend your trip on a 9-seater private charter aircraft or a packed, loud, and over-crowded ferry/boat?
- Time: It takes two hours round trip via plane while a ferry trip will last for six hours round trip. If you prefer to spend most of your trip on a boat, maybe ferry is a better option for you
- Destinations: With limited time, ferry tours will only take you to touristy beaches and skip many exotic islands. While with flights, you will have access to the Bahamas out-islands- some of the most untouched Exuma Cays
- Views: It’s either obstructed views on the ferry or a soaked experience on the speed boat. Bahamas Air Tours provides exclusive window seats for all passengers to witness the beauty of the archipelago from above.
- Comfort: Expect rough seas and sea sickness when traveling by ferry and a smooth and comfortable trip by plane
- Exclusivity: Enjoy a private tour with no crowds and no rush vs fighting over photo spots in mass tourism destinations
Miami to Bahamas ferry
When asking how far is the Bahamas from Miami by ferry, a lot of travelers expect a short and smooth sail to the Bahamas. But based on our experience in the field, the reality may suggest otherwise.
From Miami, or Fort Lauderdale to be more precise, you can opt to sail to the tourist-packed island of Bimini or disembark in Freeport, the busiest cruise port of the country. The trip from Miami to Bimini will take around 2 to 3 hours depending on the sea condition and another 30 minutes to reach Freeport.
However, it’s advised to arrive 2 or 3 hours before the departure time as the harbor could get pretty hectic with the influx of tourists. In total, you will spend around 8 to 12 hours just for the roundtrip from Miami to the Bahamas, leaving little time to explore the archipelago.
The boat from Miami to the Bahamas is highly dependent on the weather and last-minute cancellation is quite common. On a typical sailing day, it is very common to experience rough sea conditions that make passengers nauseous and uneasy. Our advice is to prepare a vomiting bag or sea-sickness medicine if you opt to travel from Miami to the Bahamas by ferry.
What to do on a Bahamas Day Trip from Miami
Now that we answered your question of how far is the Bahamas from Miami, let’s take a look at what you can do during your day trip to Bahamas from Miami.
With more than 700 islands, the options are limitless when you are traveling in the Bahamas. From idyllic spots to relax to adrenaline-pumping attractions, here are our top recommendations of things you can do during your Bahamas day trip from Miami:
- Interact with locals and tourists alike at Staniel Cay Yacht Club
- Swim side-by-side friendly sharks at Compass Cay
- Meet the tiny dinosaur – Bahamian Rock Iguana at Bitter Guana Cay
- Seek thrills at 007’s Thunderball Grotto
- Float among adorable Swimming Pigs at Pig Beach, Big Major Cay
- Explore Pablo Escobar’s sunken plane wreck at Norman’s Cay (only with Bahamas Air Tours)
- Laze at an untouched sandbar at Pipe Creek
- Explore the quaint town of Staniel Cay
Take a Day Trip to Bahamas from Miami Today!
Now that you have figured out how far is the Bahamas from Miami, are you still tempted to travel by boat from Miami to Bahamas? Or would you opt to travel luxuriously by plane instead?
If you choose the latter, Bahamas Air Tours could make all of your Bahamas fantasies come true. We take pride in providing top-notch services to our guests and introducing you to the beauty of the Bahamas. You could even customize your own trip with our private charter services where the whole trip could be designed by you!
If you have more questions beyond how far is the Bahamas from Miami, such as limited exclusive deals or the Bahamas itinerary, feel free to contact Bahamas Air Tours. They will be more than happy to assist you in planning your trip!
Discover the Bahamas Out Islands
With beautifully illustrated maps and informative destination guides.
Download the Guidebook